Monday, May 5, 2008

CB&I Sprint Tri

I was able to secure 3rd place in the M30-34 division with a 1:13:03.

This was the first race that actually made me a bit nervous during the preceding days. I believe this was due to my success in my first tri at Lonestar. When you start ontop, you know your days are limited. However, when you train like a true Type A, you expect an incline.

I stood on the shore with a pink cap. It was the perfect ice breaker, because all of the other male 30-34 participants just had to laugh. What a cruel joke to play on such manly men. Our group was second, so the anticipation subsided relatively quick. I treaded water for three minutes, while my mind outlined the course in every possible scenario.

The airhorn sounded as we began our voyage. I quickly got into my grove. One minute after our start, I had complete control of my stroke and breath. I began to spot every five strokes, when I noticed I was out of the pack. I dug in and spotted every eight strokes, while pushing my pace.

The first corner arrived as I finally met another competitor. Unfortunately, he would have to lag behind as I lengthened each stroke. There were no more pink caps that I could see in front of me. My mind began crunching numbers. Could I honestly win the swim portion; better yet, what would my Teammates think as I exited the swim first? I bet my mother would not have realized it was actually her son.

My tunnel vision vanished once I hit the beach. It was a sprint towards my bike. In which, I found that socks are bit difficult to put on while your feet are wet.

I hit the pavement pedalling in sequence with my breathing. In no time, I hit my goal of 22 mph. Finally, I was able to control my breathing. What a relief, until a sensation of nausea over came my sense of grace. I kept drinking water and waited to fuel at mile 10. I had a strategy and had already exceeded my bike plan. Therefore, my mind began crunching numbers once again.

Like a roulette wheel; my lucky number was black 23. The first competitor to pass me was at mile 4. Damn, how much did that bike actually cost? I had no fear, because I knew I could out run him. The next two passed after a turn around mile 7. This was short lived for one and a game of leap frog for the other. I believe this game of leap frog was interesting only due to the sound of his disc wheel. They led the way and I was not going to lose them.

I rode 15 miles around a beautiful course outlined with useless pine trees. Finally, I hit the fire trucks and volunteers screaming at our pack of participants. My mental calculator registered the fact that I was 1st out of the water, and only one person had beat me into T2. It was time to get it on; the run!

Note to self: Never use odor remover balls in your running shoes again. I can't tell you how many times I threw my shoes against the ground or words of encouragement I shouted, but I can say that it was pretty funny looking back. I do not know if I could have closed the gap between 2nd place; although if I could have seen him, it would have been fun.

I tried a new strategy, which paid off big time. Grab everything in T2 and start running. You can put on your Garmin, number, visor and sunglasses, while you get your legs used to each stride. I hit the bridge in a 6:40 pace. This was my two mile cruising speed, until I brought the pain at mile 2.

My body brought the pain shortly after mile 2. This was the first side stitch I have ever had while running. They kinda suck! I drank water, pulled on it, hit it, and finally realized it was there to stay. I pushed to a 6:30 pace, but had to back off. I actually ran a straight 6:40 5K race, which was the first time I have not sprinted the finish.

Thank you to all of the spectators and volunteers. This was an excellent race; great job race directors. Best of all, I won a slot into next year's race. I will see everyone at CB&I 2009!

3 comments:

CoachLiz said...

Congratulations on a great race!

Coach

Viv said...

Congrats! I think I cheered you on going in to the run. That or I called someone else Terry.

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Terry-you are a 100% bonafide tri freek! congrats man, can't wait to cheer you on for CapTex.
-jessica