Monday, May 12, 2008

Bass Akwards Epic Weekend

The Team headed South to Alvin for a Bass Akwards training session. We ran 20 minutes out and 20 minutes back. We biked 40 minutes out and 40 minutes back. We swam two loops at Twin Lakes for 2,000 yards. For some awkward reason, I was a bit sore.

I enjoyed riding after the run, because you were able to spin out your legs. I had a milestone ride, in which I was pushing 25+ mph on the smooth straight aways. It was an amazing experience that I hope is present at CapTex.

The swim was very difficult. I could feel my quads cramping, which means I am using a bit too much leg. The last straight away felt like a sprint to the finish. I finished a 2,000 yd swim, 30 mile bike, and 40 minute run. Bring on my first Olympic Distance.

I decided that Bass Akwards was only the beginning, so I headed back to Chappell Hill for a leisurely ride. We headed out for a 45 mile route that would take us over Mount Texas. I immediately could tell me legs were spent from yesterday's workout. Therefore, it started out as a light ride.

The good thing about wind is there usually is a tailwind. We faced a 15-20 mph NW wind, but I was able to hit 38 mph on a downhill and feel comfortable. It just sucks to ride at 13 mph on the flat stretches and look up at the next hill. I did even better on the hills this week, which is perfect timing as it is time to Taper.

I headed out for a 3 mile run at the heat of the day. It was a beautiful day, so I was able to enjoy my 8:15 pace. Everyone says CapTex is hot, and now I have at least one hot run under my belt.

3 comments:

Viv said...

CITSATNAF!
Thought it would call for a backwards shout out! Great training weekend Terry. Congrats on the 25+ milestone. You are gonna put all your hardwork to the test at CapTex and you will Ace it!

CoachLiz said...

You need to enjoy getting more sleep on your taper.

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

you are a beast. i'll look for you at captex through all 3 events (if i can keep up with you). i'm not racing but it will still be fun to actually be a spectator for! ohh! and you should come do the the Austin Tri on Sept 1! i am!